Our courses are designed to develop, motivate and stimulate pupils’ interest and enjoyment in this area in preparation for further study and for future life.
The Department aims to:
- Provide a well structured curriculum with achievable and meaningful outcomes for each student.
- Introduce pupils to tools, practical skills, materials and processes.
- Give pupils the confidence to work safely in a practical environment and ensure they are supported and directed in their tasks.
- Introduce pupils to the design process giving them the capability to problem solve and make their own artefacts.
- Introduce graphic communication and develop graphic skills and techniques.
- Foster an awareness of Design and Technology in the environment, how it effects the individual, the community and contributes to the world at work.
- Ensure that the Technical Department links with other areas of within school to make pupils aware of where we fit into the global picture.
- Provide pupils with an academic foundation and the skills to enable them study our subjects at a higher level or take them on a career path.
In S1 and S2, all pupils are given an introduction to the skills involved in working with wood, metal and plastics in conjunction with the design process and basic graphic techniques.
In S3 and S4, subjects offered are Standard Grade Craft and Design and Graphic Communication.
In S5 and S6, subjects offered are Intermediate 2 and Higher Graphic Communication, Intermediate 2 and Higher Product Design and Intermediate 2 Craft Skills.